26 September 2018

Betcha by golly, wow!


I've always like marmalade. Granted, I prefer lemon curd but definitely maramlade rather than jam. 

When I was younger and went shopping with my grandma, generally to Hillard's on Wharfe Street, I picked the Robertson's jar of Golden Shred from the shelf. At that time round the back of the label was a golliwog sticker. These stickers were placed on a card. Once you had a certain number of stickers on the card you could post it to get a badge. I remember proudly wearing my badge to school.



My auntie had a display cabinet and on the top shelf was a plaster golly. I forget whether he was a musician or not.

Now why wander down memory lane? I read a Facebook post a little earlier about golliwogs and their origin, so I thought I'd share a memory before proceeding.

Towards the end of the nineteenth century British soldiers occupied Egypt. Egyptian labourers who at the time worked for the British wore armbands displaying the letters W.O.G.S. These armbands indicated they were Working On Government Service. 

The British troops called the labourers Ghuls, the Arabic word for desert ghosts.

The Egyptian boys and girls played with black stuffed material dolls, and these were either given as gifts or bought by the soldiers returning to England.

These dolls became known as Ghuliwogs. Today they are known as, yes you've got it, Golliwogs.

Can you find it?

  There is a 15-letter word hidden within this grid. Can you find it?